Thursday, February 7, 2008

Home

I don't fit into this bubble that people call OBU. I used to think that was such a horrible thing, that I was a misfit because of it. I never realized the stress I was under because the world kept telling me that college would be the best years of my life. That college is the time where you have to have five hundred friends and have to be on the go always. College has never been that for me, and I was ashamed. I let myself be put in a box, I let myself stay in within those limits because that is what was 'acceptable'.
To be quite honest I have maybe ten good friends, three of those I call close friends. College has never really been a social place for me, its been a place for me to learn and grow academically. I guess I am just starting to realize that there is so much more to life than college. It is just one stop on this really long road called life. I am learning that it is okay to be where I am in life. Just because I am not like the other 2,000 students here on campus dosen't mean it is wrong, it is just different.
So I am learning. Learning of the freedom that lies outside the box. Learning that -newsflash- it is okay to sit by yourself in class if you don't know anyone. It is okay to be me. At school I tend to be such an introverted extrovert. With my friends I talk nonstop and am completely comfortable. But when it comes to new people, I am shy as ever. Why God called me to missions I will never know. :) I love my life and what God is doing in it. I love school, because I love to learn. But I love home too.
So many of my friends sigh and groan when they have to go home to visit family, I long for that. My family is my joy and what lights up my life. They are my refueling station where I can unwind without all the pressure. I don't get homesick, I haven't been homesick since freshman year. But I do love to go home because of the love that is there. The God given peace that blankets my house.
I know God has called me to missions, but firstly, I believe He has called me to create a home for my husband and family. The home that my mother has created for myself and my family is indescribable. I think that because of her love for my family is the reason I chose to major in Family Science. She is one of a kind. Her traditions, love, hospitality, and home-making skills are something that I want to have someday. My father has an amazing love for her and the things she does for us and him make her all the more lovable. She makes our home amazing.
Home is the place where I am not in a box, and I love it there. Granted, I love school and the things I learn here, but, without trying to sound too cliche, home truly is where my heart is. And that makes me happy.

No comments: