Thursday, December 21, 2006

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.”
John 15: 5-8
What is true worship?? I have so many thoughts swirling in my head, and they all do connect, although I did not realize this until recently. Lately I have been wondering what true worship is. What is worship that is totally worthy? I know that worship is a matter of the heart, but there is so much more to it than that. Where do I see myself worshiping daily, and not just in church?
One of the things that God has shown me is that to obey is better than sacrifice. Obedience. Can true worship and obedience go hand in hand?? I have learned that they can. Lately God has asked me to do something pretty…..well, odd. I didn’t want to because I was afraid that my heart would get in the way and well, it was just plain weird. Why would God ask me to do that? Even writing it down makes it look completely ridiculous and makes it seem like it is me and not God. But He has shown me that obedience is key to bearing fruit for God’s glory, which is a form of worship. I want to bear fruit, fruit that will last? But what is fruit??
In a book I am reading it points out that fruit is a good work that is for God’s glory.
Walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work
.”
Col. 1:10
There are so many other verses that talk about how good works go hand in hand with bearing fruit. Good works that are for God’s glory, works that serve others are not ourselves. Being a servant. Servant hood, and obeying and following what He commands is an act of worship, one that He very much deserves. These are two things I need to learn, very much, but at the same time they can also be so hard. Mainly the whole obedience thing. Last night God requested me to do something so completely strange and ridiculous that I thought that is was not God but my selfish heart.
Today I argued with God, and listed reasons why I shouldn’t obey. What will people think? They will think it is me doing this for selfish motives and not a request by you. But He showed me that is doesn’t matter what others think, and that it also requires trust, trust in my Savior that He will take care of everything. But still, even down to the last part in my quiet time, I put it off. God, why do you want me to pray for that? I don’t understand. But the thing is, I don’t have to understand, I only have to obey. Because He deserves all of me, my praise, my worship, my heart, and my obedience.

No comments: