Tuesday, August 7, 2007

?LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance.?
-Psalm 16:6-7
Tonight I found one of my old journals and sat down and went through it. Its funny how the things that were important to me in 2003 are no longer as important to me now, in 2007. I can see how I have grown, but more importantly, I can see the seeds that God was planting in me so long ago.
This month God has spoken to me a lot about contentment. I am learning to be content even when things are not exactly bright and sunny. Even in my journals back then, when things were going sour, or I had a bad day, the boundary lines still fell in pleasant places. I can see Him there, working quietly, and putting up with my petty problems and immaturity. Those seeds He planted then that I was unaware of are now sprouting up and beginning to grow.
Tonight I read through pages where I so earnestly sought the Lord about my future and what He had for me. Then there were other areas where I stated that all I wanted in life was a VW Bug, a ?hott? husband, and to be a CIA agent. Wow, how things have changed. :) My future has changed, and even though I have only gotten a peak behind the curtain at the picture He is painting, that small peak showed me something beautiful and exciting.
I know that my painting will be beautiful. I can see that by looking back, by looking the edges of the painting that make up my childhood and early teen years. Yes there are some dark spots where my selfish sinful nature took over, but He was with me through it all. He made those ugly paint spots into something pure and spotless. He truly has made my lot secure and those lines have fallen in pleasant places. How can I not be content when I have God constantly beside me and working in my life??
I guess to sum it all up it takes faith to be content. Contentment dosen?t come automatically, it is learned. Even the apostle Paul said that. It takes faith to trust that even though you may not be able to see God moving, that He is. He is always there even if it is in the background, or in the dark and sad times, or even in the times of rejoicing.
Those boundary lines in my life are made up of paintbrush strokes, and from what I can see right now, He is making it into something beautiful.

No comments: