Thursday, August 30, 2007

I love how after spending time with God I come back refreshed and encouraged. I also love how God can use members of my family to guide and counsel me. My dad is so wise, I pray that my future husband will be as wise.

As an ?undecided religion major? I knew I would run into this, but I never realized how discouraging it would be. Lately as I have gotten closer to God, it seems like the legalism of Christianity have been weighing me down and getting in the way. After studying and restudying the theology of the SBC and Christianity for the the past year and a half; it seems like God has been less personal and unapproachable. Discouraged, I called my Dad and talked to him about it. He had some very insightful words. He reminded me that although I will have to read the Bible from a theological standpoint for my classes, I need to learn how to separate that from reading the Bible for my quiet time. I need to find a happy medium, where, in the end, it is just me and God in my times alone with Him, and nothing else. Yes people may have differing views over certain passages, but the Holy Spirit speaks personally to the believer and to read the Bible from that standpoint, and to not read it as a Southern Baptist, as a Calvinist, etc., but to read it as a believer yearning for truth. This may not make sense on the proverbial paper, but it does make sense in my heart; and that is what matters.

No comments: