Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Lately I have had the wonderful opportunity to briefly study Early Church History in the Middle Ages. During the Middle Ages the Catholic Church (here catholic meaning universal) was very similar to the Roman Catholic church we have today. They had the 7 Sacraments, Penance, a Pope, etc. These were the Christians of the time. As the more I read though, the more it is beginning to trouble me. The Christian church then stressed (what it seems like to me) a very legalistic relationship with God, or lack thereof.

I don?t know if this is making any sense, but it is something I have to get out there, whether it?s clear or a jumbled mess. Moving on, after further study and asking questions I came to realize that it want until the Romantic Period that Christianity began to express a true ?personal? relationship with Christ. So my question is: How much of our ?quiet times? and ?relationship? with Christ is true? How much of it is culturally instilled in us? How much of God?s voice are we truly hearing and how much up it is us unconsciously making it up because that is how we were raised and that is all we know?? What if we are doing this all wrong??

From what I can see the relationship seems like that of the God of the Old Testament; very proper, ceremonial, and impersonal. But, growing up, I have always thought that because of Jesus God is like the God He was back in the Garden with Adam and Eve, personal, approachable, and loving. I know that He is these things, but right now, it just dosen?t seem like that.

No comments: