Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Loving the Best That I Possibly Can...

I'm a truth seeker, I always have been.

Ever since I was little I felt like it was up to me to search for it. The world counted on me. Now, granted, I do realize that most of my truth seeking was for me, myself, and I, but nevertheless I still continually search. I guess it is the way God made me; I'm always looking.

We live in a postmodern world. I first heard that term when I was fourteen at summer camp. I remember thinking it was such a revolutionary idea and even though I had no clue what it meant, it sounded exciting and I wanted to be apart of it. Sometimes it amazes me how foolish I was back then, but that is not the point. I suppose now, at almost 20, I have a little more of a handle on what post modernism is.
We live in a world with little absolutes. Everything has gone out the window. No longer are we a people defined by our religion, thoughts, or ideas like it was in the past. We are just a bunch of mixed up lost people looking for truth in a world of a million opinions.
I was talking with a friend this afternoon, and she commented on the large American flag that proudly waves in the center of our campus. "Big Brother is always watching our every move," she commented. Although she said it flippantly, she got me thinking. What if it wasn't there, how would people truly act? I'm not talking about the actual flag but the meaning behind it. What if we lived in a world without police, laws, and order? Without constraint we are by nature evil people. I believe this without a shadow of a doubt.
Some days we are so quick to judge people in other situations, but yet we fail to put ourselves in their shoes. We fail to be human. After reading Mein Kampf and understanding Hitler's power and persuasiveness, I am certain that if I was a German living in that time under that type of propaganda, I would probably have just as much hatred towards differing ideologies, and would have favored antisemitism whole heartedly. Why? Because I am a fallen, evil human.
Man is not good. The naive side of me wants to believe that there is some part in man that is good, but there isn't. We are a fallen world. But that leads me to my next question:
Who are we as Christians to cast the first stone?
I believe that the biggest roadblock today for unbelievers is the fallacy of the Christian. So many people are turned off by the masquerade that is preformed weekly in our churches, myself included. Its a big reason I've quit going to my local church lately. I'm just not impressed.
As Christians we go out and evangelize as "Holy Warriors", breaking down doors of the 'dark side'. But, is that the route we need to be going? I don't think so.
This past week has been a whirlwind of thoughts going on inside my head. Everything I once knew about evangelism has now been thrown out the window. I believe that we should all stop and try to see how we look like to the world. Christians, we need a new game plan.
We need to get off our pedestals and start being human. No one is going to want to listen to someone who is above them. But, they will listen to someone who is beside them. Someone who is willing to say, "hey, I've been there". We need to be their friend first, rather than their evangelist. We need to love, and let them see our love. Planting seeds doesn't require words necessarily, sometimes all it requires is an action.
Love is a action, man, all we need is love.............. :)

I'm not proud of myself for coming to these conclusions, I wish I didn't have to come to it. I am not some brilliant thinker. I'm just a girl, who is just as a horrible sinner as the prostitute down the street.

But, I feel like I am being real with myself for the first time in a long time, and it feels really, really good.

No comments: