Monday, July 14, 2008

Confessions of a Windex User

My best friend got evicted from her apartment several days ago because her roommate is a stupid heifer that lies, but that is a different story. With a day and a half to pack and move out, I went over to do what little I could (which does not include lifting of anything heavy, due to my heart). So she packed and I kept the silence filled with mindless chatter, something I do best.
If any of you know me well you know that I do not have a natural servant's heart. It is not one of my spiritual gifts and never has been.
But as I was chatting she mentioned that her and her other non-heifer roommate would have to come back and clean everything the next day. After several minutes I began to wander aimlessly around the house and found the vacuum sitting in the now empty living room. Without really thinking I yelled over my shoulder that I would sweep the living room carpet for her. She yelled back a thank you and I went to work.

What started as sweeping the carpet turned into cleaning the baseboards, and all the other carpeted rooms as well. I then grabbed some Windex and began to clean the closet mirror doors. What happened next completely caught me off guard and then proceeded to blow my mind away. I was tired, dressed in a grey tank and blue scrub pants, and my hair was messy and soaked with sweat (due to the house temperature rising to a freaking 85 degrees); needless to say it wasn't my most shining hour. But as I was cleaning the mirror I caught my reflection in the mirror and it took my breath away. I was beautiful. No, I was stunning. I had never seen myself look that amazing. I laughed as I looked at this stranger in the mirror. I didn't see myself in the mirror at all. I mean, I saw my eyes are my birthmom's and my birthfather's smile, but it wasn't me that was looking back. It was Christ through and through.

I came face to face with my ugly selfish human nature, and was shown how beautiful and stunning I am when I let Christ take over. I was seeing myself through His eyes. As I spent hours working that afternoon, not one thought of regret or repayment entered in my head. I was helping out my best friend because she needed me and she has been there for me countless times. Somewhere inside my selfish little heart came servanthood and it completely rocked my world. There was no way I could have done any of it on my own. I realized how much I truly need Christ in every part of my life, not just some of it. I saw the person I could become and I loved it.
She was a captivating, amazing, loving woman, and so freaking hardcore.

I want to be that woman.

No comments: