Tuesday, December 2, 2008

El Roi

You are El Roi, the God who sees.

The LORD looks down from heaven;
he sees all humankind.
From where he sits enthroned he watches
all the inhabitants of the earth-
he who fashions the hearts of them all,
and observes all their deeds....
Truly the eye of the LORD is on those who fear him,
on those who hope in his steadfast lone,
to deliver their soul from death,
and to keep them alive in famine.
-Psalm 33:13-15, 18-19

You see me and know my thoughts. You take delight in what you have made. There is not one second where I am alone. I should have no fear of the darkness of the night, because you are with me. You see when I am accused wrongly, you see the good deeds I do in secret. You watch me, yearning to strengthen me. You want nothing but good for me. Why did I ever question that? There is nothing you do not see. You saw your son be nailed to the cross, and you saw a young Cambodian girl huddled on the brothel floor, calling out your name. You see when my hearts so badly I feel it could break, and you see when I am overcome with joy. I am never far from your thoughts. How thankful I am for a God who lovingly watches over me. Please teach me to see with your eyes, to grieve for what you grieve, to love how you love.

No comments: